Category: SBC’s

Single Board Computers

Science of Cambridge Mk.14

I recently picked up a nice Science of Cambridge Mk.14 computer from Ebay. While it wasn’t the cheapest purchase ever, it seemed like a reasonable price considering what they usually sell for. Also, there were photo’s of it working – Bonus! The package also included the cassette interface, optional VDU board and an add-on keyboard using proper tactile switches.

mk14_annotated

Having already used some of Sinclair’s early machines, I knew what to expect of it’s original membrane keyboard. ie, I expected it to be awful and I wasn’t disappointed. Sadly, even though the machine looked to be in good condition, the original keypad was utterly useless (More so than it should have been). A couple of keys didn’t work at all and those that did needed quite a bit of force to work and when they did the machine would register the key-press multiple times.

I plugged in the external keypad thinking I’d have to make do with do with that. It wasn’t much better with the similar problem of the machine registering multiple key-presses. So, to get a usable machine, I had to repair one of the keypads. There were a couple of options. Firstly, replace the original onboard keypad with a new membrane keyboard, fix the 3rd party one or remove the original keypad and solder in some tactile switches. I decided to go with the first option as it would keep the machine looking original and if I wanted to, I could still hook up an external keypad.

Removing the old keypad…

DSC00038 DSC00042 DSC00044

As it was already beginning to lift in one corner, the top layer was really easy to remove. The second layer which is a sort of rubber membrane had pretty much turned to goo and needed quite a bit more work to remove. Once that was done I then cleaned up the board with some IPA.

DSC00045

To make the new keypad, I designed a layout in Illustrator which was then printed on a high quality laser printer and laminated. Once cut to size, I stuck aluminium foil squares to the back of each key location and then attached another laminated sheet using double sided tape. This sheet had holes punched in for each key. the whole lot was then attached to the Mk.14 board using more double sided tape.

DSC00047 DSC00048 DSC00049

Final result. I have a Mk.14 with a keypad that works as well as it did when new. Ok, even when new these keypads were awful. This new one will let me use the machine but its a pretty horrible experience so I guess I’ll still have to repair the add-on keypad.

DSC00055 DSC00052 DSC00053

SDK-85 Restoration – Part 1

Released in 1977, the SDK-85 was Intel’s development board for their new 8085 CPU. Unlike the 8080 on which it was based, the 8085 only required a single 5v power source making it ideal for small systems. Along with the 8085, the board contains a hex keypad, 7 segment displays, 256 bytes of RAM (Upgradable to 512 !) and a small monitor program in the 2k of ROM. There was also an interface for connection of a teletype.

One of the nice features of the SDK-85 is it has a large prototyping area for adding your own circuits to upgrade the system. However a downside of this is that when these boards do come up for sale, they often have their previous owners experiments soldered in. This was the case on my SDK-85 that I recently acquired…

DSC07464

This board was purchased on Ebay and came with a couple of extra components & connectors in the prototype area. My plan was to remove these, clean up the board and add sockets for the additional driver & ROM IC’s…


DSC07466  DSC07468  DSC07470

The images above show the stages of the board clean up and addition of the new sockets. I decided to also change the 40pin socket that had been fitted for the optional RAM expansion. Nothing wrong with it but just wanted one that matched the other sockets. The next step is to add some solderless breadboards on top of the prototype area. This will allow the addition of test circuits & experiments but can easily be removed if I want to restore the back to the original spec. I’ll cover this once I’ve ordered the breadboards 🙂